What is the type of laser used in this procedure?
It is Erbium Yag laser.
How does this laser work?
By creating microscopic wounds (400 microns) within targeted areas well beneath the outer layer of skin, fractional laser treatments trigger the body’s natural healing process accelerating the production of collagen and new healthy skin cells.
What is this laser used for?
- Pigmentation (Melasma / post acne marks)
- Acne scars & other kind of scars
- Wrinkles / Skin Tightening
- Stretch marks
- Open pores
Does the laser treatment hurt?
It can be an uncomfortable procedure for people with a low threshold for pain.
What is done for pain management?
Patient is asked to apply the topical anesthetic generously on the area to be treated about 15-20min before the procedure starts. A polythene sheet can be applied on top of topical anesthetic to increase the efficacy of the anesthetic.
At times, anesthetic injections are given in the skin along with nerve blocks to make the procedure pain free.
Cold air is also used to alleviate pain.
How long does it take to treat the whole face?
About 5-15 minutes.
How many treatments are required in wrinkles, stretch marks & acne scars?
On average 4-5 sessions spaced about 2-3 months apart for wrinkles, stretch marks & acne scars.
What kind of results are seen in post acne marks?
More than 50 to 90% of the post acne pigmentation oozes out in just one session & the patient starts seeing the results after the end of 2nd or 3rd month of having laser treatment.
What kind of results are seen in melasma?
If it suits the skin, something which is evaluated at the end of one month of doing a laser Spot Testing, most of the pigmentation oozes out in just one session.
How does the skin look like immediately after the treatment?
It looks red. There might be some swelling . Click to View
When does the skin get back to normal?
After 5-7 days, skin starts flaking off, revealing new skin beneath.
Can makeup be applied after the treatment?
Preferrably no. But if it is very necessary, it can be applied and removed afterwards with glycerin or a mild cleanser.
What is the post treatment care?
- Avoid using acne face washes, creams and gels till skin is completely healed.
- Avoid using bleaching agents for pigmentation till skin gets back to normal.
- Avoid strong sun exposure and heat.
- Avoid skin rubbing, scrubbing & fruit peeling.
- Mild cleansing washes and soaps and moisturizer should be applied as advised by the doctor.
- After washing the treated area, dab it dry and don’t keep it moist.
- In case of acne, oral antibiotics can be given to counter any acne flare up after the treatment.
- In case of a medical history of herpes simplex viral infection, oral anti virals are given.
There can be post inflammatory hyperpigmentation or brown patch over the treated area for few weeks, resolving with or without medicines.
Factors triggering complications:
- Face was not properly washed with soap & traces of makeup or creams were left.
- Skin was bleached at a salon few days before having the treatment.
- Skin was treated with topical retinoids used in acne treatment (tretinex, retin- A,isotrex,isotrexin,oratane gel) few days before getting the laser done.
- Patient is on oral retinoids for acne treatement (cap ro-accutane, cap oratane)